Dear All

The research-teaching-impact nexus in UK STEMM Departments

Dr Eliel Cohen

Mon, April 19, 2021

1:00 PM – 2:00 PM (GMT+1)

Click here for the details and for booking

I’m excited to announce that we have our first seminar of the new REDS Seminar Series!

Eliel's introduction to the seminar: My recent book (2021) studied the interactions between academic STEMM departments and non-academic sectors to produce socioeconomically relevant or useful knowledge, with a focus not only on ‘impact’ as a mere add-on of research, but also on the ways that academic research is often fundamentally intertwined with the knowledge society or ‘ecology’ (Barnett, 2017). I was expecting to focus almost exclusively on the role of academics themselves. However, one of my strongest findings was the multiple and often central roles of students and graduates (particularly but not exclusively at the doctoral level), especially those who leave academia, prompting me to coin the idea of a ‘research-teaching-impact’ nexus at the heart of universities’ role within and relations to society. This talk will summarise the study, highlighting those findings which prompt reflection on the importance of students to academic research and what this means for policy and practice and researcher development.

Barnet, R. (2017). The Ecological University. Abingdon: Routledge Cohen, E. (2021). The University and its Boundaries: Thriving or Surviving in the 21st century. Abingdon: Routledge.

Thanks

Tony

Dr Tony Bromley - Academic Development Consultant, FHEA

University of Leeds postgraduate researcher personal and professional development information:

https://researchersupport.leeds.ac.uk/dynamic-development/your-professional-development-opportunities/

DYNAMIC DEVELOPMENT a new approach to the development of researchers https://researchersupport.leeds.ac.uk/dynamic-development/ | www.tonybromley.com

Organisational Development & Professional Learning, G11a Baines Wing, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT Tel no: 0113 3432531

https://peopledevelopment.leeds.ac.uk/services/postgraduate-research/

Final_OD&PL_email_signature_without&

To unsubscribe from the RDSCHOLARSHIP list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=RDSCHOLARSHIP&A=1