Named after Clee Hill (PN Sa8 16-17).

From: The English Place-Name List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Martin Counihan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 12 February 2021 10:59
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Cleeton (Yorkshire East Riding)

Let me just say that there is a Cleeton St Mary which is about 8 km from Ludlow (and very near Cleedownton and Clee Hill).

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 at 9:52 AM
From: "Keith Briggs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cleeton (Yorkshire East Riding)
In the episode of Time Team broadcast on 2005-03-13, a settlement of mud-built houses was found near Skipsea, and it was discussed whether this was the lost village of Cleeton, but without any mention of what that place-name might have meant.

Conversely, PN YE 82 interprets Cleeton as 'clay farm' without saying what a clay farm is.   Could there be a link here, and the name actually refers to the mud houses?  (PN YE 82 also says that the "site of Cleeton village is now under the sea".  I wonder what the evidence for that is?   Has it just been assumed because the place has vanished?)

Keith

On 2011-02-10, Keith Briggs wrote:
> On last Sunday's Time Team program, evidence was found for an ancient mere on the site of Tottiford reservoir [*] on the eastern edge of Dartmoor.
> In view of this, should we review the name of adjacent Mardon?  PN Devon 472 has it as 'boundary hill', but the topography suggests that it was surrounded by water on three sides, so 'mere hill' looks appropriate.
> Conversely, Time Team again missed the opportunity to mention a place-name potentially relevant to the study they were undertaking.
> Keith

To unsubscribe from the EPNL list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=EPNL&A=1