Many of you will, I hope, will have heard of the CLARIN European Research Infrastructure Consortium for digital language resources and tools. The consortium is made up of countries, and the UK has been an Observer for six years. The AHRC is now considering whether to push for full membership. You can read more about CLARIN and what full membership means on the CLARIN-UK website here: https://www.clarin.ac.uk/, in particular in the recent blog posts. In short, full membership of CLARIN would give us opportunities for access to corpus resources and research collaborations in the domain of modern languages and linguistics.

The AHRC are asking us for some fairly detailed and concrete information with a deadline of 10th February, so that they can consider whether to consider to push for full membership for the UK, and have asked for responses to the following questions:

If any of you can offer any evidence in respect of these questions, then I would be most grateful. If, for example, you rely in your teaching or research on any resources provided by or funded by CLARIN, then please let me know. This could include any of the resources listed here for example: https://www.clarin.eu/content/easy-access-protected-resources.

CLARIN is particularly important when it comes to digital resources in Germanic languages, but is by no means limited to them. Please feel free to forward this request to others! Other suggestions about how to support this process are also welcome. Any comments or questions? Please send them to me!

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Electronic Enlightenment & Oxford Text Archive,
Bodleian Libraries,