Many of you will, I hope, will have heard of the CLARIN European
Research Infrastructure Consortium for digital language resources and
tools. The consortium is made up of countries, and the UK has been an
Observer for six years. The AHRC is now considering whether to push for
full membership. You can read more about CLARIN and what full membership
means on the CLARIN-UK website here: https://www.clarin.ac.uk/, in
particular in the recent blog posts. In short, full membership of CLARIN
would give us opportunities for access to corpus resources and research
collaborations in the domain of modern languages and linguistics.

The AHRC are asking us for some fairly detailed and concrete information
with a deadline of 10th February, so that they can consider whether to
consider to push for full membership for the UK, and have asked for

  * What does observer membership currently allow the UK and its
    researchers to do?  Can you give any specific examples of activity
    that would not have been possible without CLARIN membership?
  * What would full membership allow the UK and its researchers to do
    that it/they cannot already?
  * What would be the likely impact for the UK and its researchers,
    should we withdraw completely from CLARIN?

If any of you can offer any evidence in respect of these questions, then
I would be most grateful. If, for example, you rely in your teaching or
research on any resources provided by or funded by CLARIN, then please
let me know. This could include any of the resources listed here for
example: https://www.clarin.eu/content/easy-access-protected-resources.
<https://www.clarin.eu/content/easy-access-protected-resources>

CLARIN is particularly important when it comes to digital resources in
Germanic languages, but is by no means limited to them. Please feel free
to forward this request to others! Other suggestions about how to
support this process are also welcome. Any comments or questions? Please
send them to me!

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Electronic Enlightenment & Oxford Text Archive,
Bodleian Libraries,