Research Associate, Dept. Information Science, University of Pretoria (South Africa)
_____________________________________
www.albertkb.nl

Op vr 18 dec. 2020 om 08:59 schreef Roeland Smeets <[log in to unmask]>:
Dear Albert
 It must have been more than 20 years ago that you taught me about information literacy at the University in Amsterdam.
A few months ago I stopped working as a school librarian ("mediathecaris" in Dutch) in Amsterdam, but I still consider myself a "mediathecaris" sin literacyce I keep bloggen  about information literacy.
I recently wrote a book review on "Mind over Media" by Renee Hobbs, and I hope you like it.

I'll keep reading books on Information literacy and on how the world changes under the influence of media and technology because I love being a "mediathecaris"

I wish you all the best,

Roeland

Van: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> namens Albert Boekhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: vrijdag 18 december 2020 09:06
Aan: Ruth Stubbings <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; ENSIL-list: European Network for School Libraries and Information Literacy <[log in to unmask]>
Onderwerp: Re: [InfoLit-L] Exciting opportunity at the Journal of Information Literacy: Managing Editor

Dear Ruth,
Although I'm still active in the 'Information Literacy'/'MIL' and 'School Libraries' World, I think that at my age (77) I will not qualify for the job. But I'm responding to urge other persons to do so.
Realizing an information need, retrieving, evaluating, and using the information in an efficient, effective, and ethical way is not an innate quality. It has to be learned. This learning is not restricted to a ‘one-time-moment’, but is a continuous process that develops during our lifetime, depending on the context, social and technological developments. Governments play an important role in this process as they determine the final objectives of education and facilitate infrastructure to achieve these aims. And in this process school libraries have an essential role as they are both a gateway to information as a place to learn how to do this.
I hope a lot of people will react to the request and will be 'overwhelmed' with contributions from people in the field with reports about theirexperiences and ideas. Which subsequently will be published in the Journal
Love,
Albert

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards / Atenciosamente

Prof.dr. Albert K. Boekhorst
IASL, Vice President (Association Relations)
IFLA School Libraries Section, Information Coordinator
ENSIL, Coordinator