December 15, 2020

Dear GNHRE Members,

It’s been quite a year for the Global Network for Human Rights and the
Environment!  As you all know, the GNHRE is a loose affiliation of lawyers,
academics, activists and other professionals, globally dispersed and
intellectually diverse, who all share a human rights orientation to
environmental protection.

We write now to give you an update of what the GNHRE has been up to, and a
preview of the year ahead.

The GNHRE’s greatest resource is the people who are members, and we are
especially grateful to those members of the Core Team whose energies and
enthusiasm have galvanized the network’s activities. This year, we have
expanded the Core Team to enlarge our global reach and to focus on
programming and progress in a few key areas.

*THE CORE TEAM*

Erin Daly, *Director*

Dina Lupin Townsend, *Deputy Director*

Astrid Bernal, *Media and Web Content*

Tim Blackman, *Website Management*

Josh Gellers, *New Members*

Sara Seck, *Research Repository*

Uday Shankar, *New Members*

Natalia Urzola, *Membership Coordinator*

*Regional Directors and Deputy Directors*

Africa: Clive Vinti, Caiphas Brewster Soyapi, Angela Kariuki

Asia: Uday Shankar and Pankaj Karn

Asia-Pacific: Peter Burdon and Manuel Solis

Caribbean: Lisa Benjamin

Europe: Annalisa Savaresi and Margaretha Wewerinke

Latin America: Maria Antonia Tigre and Daniel Noroña

North America: Sara Seck and Rebecca Bratspies

*Natalia Urzola*, our new *Membership Coordinator*, is excited to be
working with GNHRE’s members -- our greatest resource! She'll be developing
new opportunities for enhancing members’ connections to each other and to
support and promote knowledge exchange. One of those opportunities is a new
mentorship program, which aims to provide a forum where one-to-one
relationships between members with similar interests and experience are
able to emerge and thrive. Look for some more exciting new programs in the
near future!

*Astrid Bernal* is our new *Coordinator for Media and Web Content* –
ensuring up-to-date communications with our 1.200-1.600 friends and
followers on Facebook and Twitter, with help from Daniella Toma and Otto
Spijkers.

*NEW PROGRAMS *

This year, for the first time, we organized a series of Webinars focusing
on Human Rights Strategies in Climate Change Litigation, the recordings of
which are available in the *Video Library
<https://gnhre.org/category/video-library/>* on our newly renovated
website.

   - A Global Overview (June), with Hari Osofsky, Joana Setzer, David Boyd,
   and Tessa Khan (organized by Annalisa Savaresi)
   - Southeast Asia (July), with Surya Deva, Sanjay Upadhyay, Tara Prasad
   Sapkota (organized by Uday Shankar)
   - Latin America (August), with Soledad Garcia Muñoz, Astrid Puentes,
   Juan Auz, and Monica Feria-Tinta (organized by Maria Antonia Tigre and
   Daniel Noroña)
   - Europe (September), with Roda Verheyen, Andrew Jackson, Dennis van
   Berkel, and Louise Fournier (organized by Margaretha Wewerinke), and
   - Africa (November), with Nicole Loser, Passy Amayo, Gino Cocchiaro, and
   Andrew Gilder (organized by Clive Vinti, Angela Kariuki, and Caiphas Soyapi)

This series complemented a webinar co-sponsored with Environmental Law and
Governance Association offering an introduction to the field of human
rights and the environment and featuring John Knox, David Boyd, Sumudu
Atapattu, and Dina Lupin Townsend.

We have also launched a *Book Discussion* series, which will continue in
2021. In November, we featured Josh Gellers’ *Rights for Robots*
<https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/rights-robots-joshua-gellers/10.4324/9780429288159.>,
available for free download! This event is also available in the Video
Library. Next year, we’ll complement the series with *Curated Reading Lists*
on selected topics.

Also upcoming: GNHRE is proud to be a co-sponsor of THE TIME IS NOW:
Canadian and Global Recognition of the Right to a Healthy Environment,
January 26, 2021, 5-7 pm PST | 8-10 pm EST

Register now: bit.ly/Enviro2021

Please contact us ([log in to unmask]) if you’d like to discuss new events.

*NEW WEBSITE FEATURES*

In addition to our ever-growing community pages – featuring upcoming
events, blog posts, and other news of interest to our community members –
the new website includes our growing *Research Repository
<https://gnhre.org/research-repository/>*, as well as a page featuring our
new *institutional partnerships <https://www.globalpandemicnetwork.org/>.*

This year, the GNHRE Community page has featured a number of exceptional
blog posts and commentaries. *Maria-Antonia Tigre and Victoria Lichet* blog
post in October
<https://gnhre.org/2020/10/19/the-human-rights-council-urges-states-to-realize-the-rights-of-the-child-through-a-healthy-environment/>
discussed
the UNHRC's recent adoption of a resolution on realising the rights of the
child through a healthy environment. The blog post explores the critical
links between the human rights of children and the protection of a healthy
environment, a critical issue given the heightened vulnerability of
children to air and water pollution as well as to the effects of climate
change. In September, *Maria Antonia Tigre & Alex Goodman* wrote an
excellent blog post on Case ADPF 708
<https://gnhre.org/2020/09/22/adpf708-climate-fund-what-to-expect-from-brazils-first-public-hearing-on-climate-policy/>
involving
Brazil’s Climate Fund. This case constituted Brazil's first public hearing
on climate policy. The plaintiff's in the case challenged the Bolsonaro
government's effective policy of paralysing the Fund. This blog post
highlights the importance of this case, emphasising the Court's decision to
hold a hearing and Judge Barroso's statement that “environmental protection
is not a political option, but a constitutional duty.” In June, *Tracy Lynn
Field* contributed a fascinating discussion of her new book
<https://gnhre.org/2020/06/04/blogpost-state-governance-of-mining-development-and-sustainability-by-tracy-lynn-field-edward-elgar-publishing/>,
‘State
Governance of Mining, Development and Sustainability’. In the post, Tracy
describes her 'five-year research journey into the languages we speak about
mining, development and sustainability, and their translation into legal
and economic concepts and rules', providing us with fantastic insight both
into the book itself and the road she took to writing it. In February, *Otto
Spijkers* contributed an important blog post on the Urgenda case
<https://gnhre.org/2020/02/17/urgenda-and-dutch-dikastophobia-is-this-the-end-of-public-interest-litigation-for-the-environment-and-the-end-of-article-3305a-dutch-civil-code/>
in
the Netherlands and the idea of dikastophobia, challenging us to think
about the impacts and costs of the case on public interest litigation for
the environment. *Hector Herrera*'s blog post on fracking
<https://gnhre.org/2020/01/06/the-legal-status-of-fracking-worldwide-an-environmental-law-and-human-rights-perspective/>
provided
an invaluable human rights perspective on the state of fracking all over
the globe, discussing recent developments and tracking global trends. The
post discusses developments in regulation and litigation and makes the
connections between human rights, climate change and fracking explicit. In
addition to these insightful and topical blog posts, each of our webinars
has been accompanied by a blog post.

One of the website’s most popular features is the new *Member Spotlight
<https://gnhre.org/community/>*, in which we’ve so far featured Gabriela
Oanta, Monica Feria-Tinta, Maria Antonia Tigre, and GNHRE Founder Anna
Grear.

Thanks to the extraordinary efforts of Tim Blackman, we continue to improve
and strengthen the website. Early next year, we’ll roll out a new Member
Profile page; at that point, we’ll ask you to update your photo and
biographical information.

We wish you all a very happy and healthy end of 2021 and we look forward to
bright things ahead in 2021!

Warmly,

Erin Daly & Dina Townsend, on behalf of the GNHRE Core Team

Erin Daly
Professor of Law, Delaware Law School <http://delawarelaw.widener.edu/>
Executive Director, Dignity Rights International <http://dignityrights.org>
Co-Founder, Dignity Rights Project
<http://delawarelaw.widener.edu/prospective-students/jd-program/jd-academics/public-interest/dignity-rights-project/>
Director, Global Network for Human Rights and the Environment (GNHRE)
<http://gnhre.org/>

*Dignity Rights: Constitutions, Courts, and the Worth of the Human Person
<http://www.amazon.com/Dignity-Rights-Constitutions-Citizenship-Constitutionalism/dp/0812244400>Reconciliation
in Divided Societies: Finding Common Ground
<http://www.amazon.com/Reconciliation-Divided-Societies-Finding-Pennsylvania/dp/0812221249/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8>Global
Environmental Constitutionalism
<http://www.amazon.com/Global-Environmental-Constitutionalism-James-May/dp/1107022258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415097728&sr=1-1&keywords=global+environmental+constitutionalism>*
*Implementing Environmental Constitutionalism*
<http://admin.cambridge.org/academic/subjects/law/environmental-law/implementing-environmental-constitutionalism-current-global-challenges?format=HB>
*Environmental Constitutionalism*
<https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/environmental-constitutionalism?___website=uk_warehouse>
Scholarship on SSRN