Dear Marie,

            I don’t think there’s likely to be such a thing as a ‘correct’ model for a data set like this, of considerable complexity and not collected with research in mind (though there certainly are ‘incorrect’ models).   I think probably the best you can hope to achieve is a reasonable model – and that may require exploring different possibilities, in which case you have to bear in mind that the process of exploration and selection introduces bias into your final estimates and p-values.  So the whole analysis then becomes exploratory, hypothesis-generating – not hypothesis-validating.

            I don’t see anything incorrect in the model you have specified for your cattle data, but I wonder if it may be too complicated.   Bearing in mind the unbalanced data structure, do you have enough information to get good estimates of Year and Season effects in the RANDOM model?   If I’m understanding the data correctly, the important thing is that each Cattle_group is within a single Year and Season, and the Cattle_group values themselves may be sufficient to specify this, in which case the model

RANDOM=Feedlot/Cattle_group

might suffice.   You could compare it with your proposed model to see if there was evidence of a substantial Year and/or Season-within-Year variance component.   If there are duplicate Cattle_group values that actually refer to different groups in different Years and/or Seasons, you can take account of this, without estimating Year and/or Season-within-Year variance components, by specifying

RANDOM=Feedlot/Year.Season.Cattle_group

            By the way, for the classic example of meta-analysis that you cite, you need to consider the possibility that the main effect of TRIAL should be specified as a fixed-effect term, and correspondingly that in your study the main effect of Feedlot should be a fixed-effect term.   This may seem perverse, but if you specify TRIAL as random, then the estimate of the effect of THERAPY (I think) includes information from the between-trials variation, which you may not want, as patients are randomised to a level of THERAPY only within each trial.   (See Section 8.4, ‘A random-effect interaction between two fixed-effect terms’, in the second edition of my mixed modelling book, for a discussion of this issue.)

            I say ‘I think’ because it may be that the option setting ‘EXPERIMENT = TRIAL’ is sufficient to specify within-trial estimation of the THERAPY effect.   Does anyone else on the discussion list know if this is the case?

Best wishes,

Nick

N.W. Galwey, PhD

Statistics Leader, Research Statistics

Biostatistics, R&D

GSK Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2NY, UK

Email   [log in to unmask]

Tel       +44 208 047 6878

gsk.com  |  Twitter  |  YouTube  |  Facebook  |  Flickr