Yes. Remembered the very sensible Genstat convention in my reply but read it as SAS in the question! So Cattle_group_Season might be the random effect.
Stephen

From: Nicholas Galwey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 14 December 2020 09:42
To: Open discussion list for the statistical system Genstat <[log in to unmask]>; Marie Smith <[log in to unmask]>; Stephen Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: meta analysis advice

Dear Stephen and Marie,

                I don’t think Marie is specifying interaction as the main focus.   If I’m understanding her email correctly, she is following the convention

Cattle_group*Season = Cattle_group + Season + Cattle_group.Season

where Cattle_group.Season represents the interaction effect, following the notation of

Wilkinson, G.N. and Rogers, C.E. (1973) Symbolic description of factorial models for analysis of variance. Applied Statistics 22:392-399.

                @Marie Smith<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, have I understood correctly?

Best wishes,

Nick

N.W. Galwey, PhD
Statistics Leader, Research Statistics
Biostatistics, R&D

GSK Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2NY, UK
Email   [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Tel       +44 208 047 6878

gsk.com<http://www.gsk.com/>  |  Twitter<http://twitter.com/GSK>  |  YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/gskvision>  |  Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/glaxosmithkline>  |  Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/glaxosmithkline>