Dear All,

Hope you're well.

Some of you might be interested in a talk I'm giving this time next week,
free and online: 5.30pm, Wednesday 25 November, about the 'Railway Work,
Life & Death' project:

*Challenging histories? Collaboration, community & remembering the bits
‘best’ forgotten*

As historians, how do we handle sensitive or traumatic pasts? And what
happens when we get a variety of researchers involved? In this seminar,
I’ll look at how the ‘Railway Work, Life & Death’ project is engaging with
different audiences to explore accidents to British and Irish railway
workers before 1939. A joint initiative of the Modern Records Centre,
National Railway Museum and University of Portsmouth, and working with The
National Archives, we’ve been working with teams of volunteers to
transcribe and make freely available accident reports. People who wouldn’t
see themselves as railway historians have been coming together to get
involved – understanding the expertises they bring will be a theme of this
seminar, which will provide a forum to think about some of the challenges
of researching difficult pasts in a public way.

All are welcome, but booking is essential - via:
https://www.history.ac.uk/events/challenging-histories-collaboration-community-remembering-bits-best-forgotten

For those who can't make it, I believe it will be recorded and made
available after the event.

All best wishes,

Mike

--
Dr Mike Esbester
Senior Lecturer in History and History Employability Lead

Please note that I am only employed part-time and there will therefore be a
delay before I am able to reply to your email. Thank you for your patience.

Associate Editor, *Journal of Transport History
<http://journals.sagepub.com/home/jth>     *@JTransportHist

Co-leader, 'Railway Work, Life & Death' project:
www.railwayaccidents.port.ac.uk   @RWLDproject

Latest publication: 'Digital Disasters: Crowd-sourcing the railway
accident' in *Transport & its Place in History. Making the Connections
<https://www.routledge.com/Transport-and-Its-Place-in-History-Making-the-Connections/Turner/p/book/9780815394174>
*(ed. D Turner, Routledge, 2020)