If this email does not display correctly you can access it at  https://go.alt.ac.uk/Digest583

Weekly News Digest - Issue 583, 30 November 2020

Welcome to this week's news digest. In this edition:

  1. Updates for Members
  2. News, events, courses and Calls for Proposals
  3. Jobs
  4. New publications from #altc blog and Research in Learning Technology

1. Updates for Members

FEATURED: Final call for sponsors for the Online Winter Conference 2020

As the Online Winter Conference 2020, now in its 7th year, approaches we are making our final call for organisations to come on board as conference sponsors. https://go.alt.ac.uk/2URvaMX

Next submission deadline
5pm (UK time) Friday

Next publication date
Every Monday

Submit your news
via this form

Social media
Follow #altc for updates

#altc Blog
Read recent posts

Research in Learning Technology
Open Access - recent articles

ALT’s Research in Learning Technology Journal welcomes three new Editors

We are delighted to welcome new Editors to the Editorial Team for Research in Learning Technology. Led by Editor-in-Chief, Lesley Diack, the open call for expressions of interest and subsequent recruitment and selection process has led to the following appointments: Tunde Varga-Atkins, Louise Drumm and James Brunton will join the Editorial Team as Editors alongside Lesley Diack, Liz Bennett, Michael Flavin, Sarah Honeychurch, Simon Thomson, and Gail Wilson. The Trustees of ALT congratulate all new appointments and extend a very warm welcome to all! https://go.alt.ac.uk/39eu85Y

Online Winter Conference programme launch!

We have a packed programme of sessions this year, covering a range of themes and also featuring esteemed panel discussions each day.  You can select sessions and build your own programme, to create a day that suits your preferences. Our member and special interest groups are also holding meetups in the run up to and during the conference.  The social programme will feature opportunities for you to network and take part in the second ALT quiz hosted by VeVox. Full conference ticket only £49 for members https://go.alt.ac.uk/3lWW9mc

Member Strategic update - October 2020

As we make our way through this very unusual term, Members across sectors continue to face pressures on many fronts, from supporting students who are self-isolating to guiding staff through scaled up online and blended delivery. See the full strategic update here - https://go.alt.ac.uk/35BqShG

Last Week’s Top @A_L_T Tweet

Giant leap

A warm welcome to our new Research in Learning Technology Editors - Tunde Varga-Atkins, James Brunton, and Louise Drumm #altc @tundeva @DrJamesBrunton @louisedrumm https://go.alt.ac.uk/39eu85Y  pic.twitter.com/t7mRlzHPVi

Back to top

2. News, events, courses and calls for proposals

Our Days Are Numbered: Metrics, Managerialism, and Academic Development Edited by Professor Veronica Bamber

SEDA are thrilled to announce details of an important and timely new publication “Our Days Are Numbered: Metrics, Managerialism, and Academic Development” Edited by Professor Veronica Bamber. Cost: SEDA Members - £20, Non – SEDA Members - £24. A copy of this will be sent to all named institutional contacts. Hear Roni speak on this subject at the SEDA Winter Festival on Tuesday 15th December 2020 @ 1pm.

Anti-racism & learning technology meetings

A group of UK HE learning technology staff have started to meet regularly to discuss issues and take actions in relation to racism within UK HE, with a focus on our own field. The first meeting was held in November and three further 1-hour meetings have been scheduled: Thurs 3 December 11.00, Thurs 17 December 2.30 & Weds 6 January 10.00. If you would like to get involved or attend any of the meetings please sign-up. https://go.alt.ac.uk/3mnFUi7

2nd Call for Chapters - Industry Practices in Education (Springer) - 20th Jan 2021

We are inviting initial chapter proposals for the forthcoming edited book, “Industry Practices, Processes and Techniques Adopted in Education - Supporting innovative teaching and learning practice”, edited by Kathryn MacCallum and David Parsons to be published by Springer in late 2021. At this stage, we only require suggested chapter titles, details of authors, and a brief outline of the proposed content of the chapter (approx 200 words). These can be sent to us by filling in the expression of interest Google Form (https://tinyurl.com/IndustryPracCFP) Any questions about the call for chapters should be directed to the editors at [log in to unmask]

Important Dates:

  • Abstract Registration due: January 20th, 2021
  • Notification on initial acceptance: February 1st, 2021
  • Book Chapters due: March 1st, 2021
  • Notification to authors: May 1st, 2021
  • Revised papers due: July 1st, 2021
  • Publication of the book: Late 2021

MoodleMunch webinar - Tuesday 1 December, 13:00 GMT

Join us at our second webinar of MoodleMuch series 2. Dublin City University and Marino Institute of Education will deliver presentations. DCU will present an initiative to guide students in developing library and academic writing skills (DigCompEdu competence 3.2 ‘Guidance’). Marino Institute of Education will present its use of podcasts and Moodle to give students flexibility in engaging with content (DigCompEdu competence 2.3 ‘Managing, protecting and sharing digital resources’). Register to attend via Zoom: https://go.alt.ac.uk/35B586N

EdTech Online winter Conference 2021: Paradigm Shift? Reflection, Resilience and Renewal in Digital Education. Date: 14/15 January

Registration is now open and the Call for Papers can be accessed at this link also. https://bit.ly/ILTAWinter We welcome submission of papers across all formats. Registration for the ILTA Winter Conference will cost €30 with institutional and student discounts available. Check out the conference website for more information. https://bit.ly/ILTAWinter

Inspera Q&A Coffee Break webinar "Exam Day - Before & After the Pandemic"

The pandemic is re-shaping our world. How do we provide students with flexible, fair and secure opportunities to test their knowledge and skills in the time of turmoil? In this webinar, we will talk about the exam day before and after the pandemic. What are the benefits of on-screen delivery, what does exam day look like for different stakeholders, and what about the logistics? We will reflect on best practices of preparing for the digital transformation of exam delivery with the group of experts who have years of hands-on experience with this process. Wednesday December 9th, 2020, 9.00-9.45 AM (ET), 2.00-2.45 PM (BST),  3.00-3.45 PM (CEST) https://go.alt.ac.uk/3lA3tUJ

Back to top

3. Jobs

Members Directory: a directory of consultants and commercial services, connecting those who have expertise with those who need additional input. You can add yourself to the directory here and access the full list here.

NEW - Coventry University - Learning Designer

Coventry University Online
Ref: CUOL000056
£37,395 to £41,795 p/y
Full time
Closing date: 13 December 2020
Informal enquiries to David Hopkins / [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2FxIhhZ

NEW - Imperial College London - Product Engineer - Teaching and Learning

Information Communications and Technology (ICT)
Ref: FOG00432
£47,842 - £57,606
Full time, Permanent
Closing date: 08 December 2020
Informal enquiries to [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/2KT4vO4

NEW - UCL - Faculty Learning Technology Lead

Faculty of Engineering Sciences
Ref: 1872284
£44,737 - £52,764
Full time, Permanent
Closing date: 04 December 2020
Informal enquiries to [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/39sdPTm

BIMM Institute - Learning Technologist

Digital Learning Team
Fixed term Jan 2021-Jan 2022 (12 months)
Closing date: 07 December 2020
Informal enquiries to [log in to unmask]
https://go.alt.ac.uk/3fqm03m

Back to top

4. New publications from #altc blog and Research in Learning Technology

#ALTC Blog

Research in Learning Technology

  • NEW - The effectiveness of flipped learning strategy in the development of scientific research skills in procedural research course among higher education diploma students
    Omar M. Mahasneh - https://go.alt.ac.uk/3o8qK0S
  • The effects of a Moodle-based instructional unit on physical activity in schools on 15–20 years experienced permanent Irish primary teachers physical activity knowledge, attitudes and behaviour
    David Brennan - https://go.alt.ac.uk/32EpzOb
  • The impact of audience response platform Mentimeter on the student and staff learning experience
    Emma Mayhew, Madeleine Davies, Amanda Millmore, Lindsey Thompson, Alicia Pena Bizama - https://go.alt.ac.uk/3ek1W1X
  • First year undergraduates make use of recordings to overcome the barriers to higher education: evidence from a survey
    Jill R.D. MacKay - https://go.alt.ac.uk/3dMQdZE
  • An exploratory study of students’ perceptions of learning management system utilisation and learning community
    Hungwei Tseng - https://go.alt.ac.uk/3kch3Ng

Back to top

The ALT News Digest is published on Mondays. Deadline for submissions 5pm Friday. Submit your items via https://www.alt.ac.uk/news/alt-news-digest

---

Disclaimer. Reasonable care is taken to ensure that the ALT Digest is accurate. But ALT does not vouch for the accuracy of information provided on websites to which the digest links, and opinions expressed on those sites should not be construed to be those of ALT.

######################################################################## -- An announcements list for members of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT). To switch ALT-ANNOUNCE to receive output from the list in digest form, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message set ALT-ANNOUNCE digest in the body of the email. To unsubscribe to ALT-ANNOUNCE, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message leave ALT-ANNOUNCE, in the body of the email. --