Hi

I used to do some work for the ambulance service but if there are any paramedics out there please feel free to jump in.

The shelf life quoted is probably not far off correct because the batteries do deteriorate, and certainly the increase in faults do increase with age - I’ve seen some warning notices come out as they get older and periodically we would get older AEDs ’having issues’ that meant either recalls or patches needed.  Also the manufacturers can be a bit reluctant to update the software etc with older AEDs - this tends to become an issue when they change the resus protocols but I’m not aware of any imminent changes.

As I’m sure you know batteries and pads have a use by date, and every AED should have a log maintained of routine testing and consumable checks and battery life - each AED works slightly differently so you will have to look at the manual for the AED as to what needs to be done.

As a medical device they are covered under standard regs for this - and depending on the work place each may have its own internal requirement.  I don’t ever recall our AEDs going through any annual check - but within our hospital Trust I’m not sure what they do.

SJA are quite responsible in terms of the advice they give so there is some basic information here:  guide-to-defibrillator-maintenance-and-upkeep <https://www.sja.org.uk/get-advice/i-need-to-know/guide-to-defibrillator-maintenance-and-upkeep/>

Cardiac Science are one of the ‘big players’ in the AED field and there is some really useful information about this here.
https://www.cardiacscience.co.uk/european-medical-device-regulation-eu-mdr/ <https://www.cardiacscience.co.uk/european-medical-device-regulation-eu-mdr/>

I think this is essentially about the change from the old Medical Device Directive to the new Medical Device Regulations - put simply Cardiac Science say - don’t worry.

I’ve used some AEDs that are very very old and they did continue to perform well.  Rather depends on how much abuse they’ve had!  What you will tend to find though is the less reputable manufacturers won’t continue to stock replacement batteries or consumables long term - so its always worth keeping an eye on what is happening with models.  Once they pass a certain age - particularly if they discontinue a model - you may struggle to get a replacement battery etc.  Some providers like Cardiac Science are very good and you will be able to continue to get batteries and pads long after an AED is discontinued which is why although some companies can be more expensive to buy from in the short term its always worth factoring in as that could make a considerable difference in the life of the AED if consumables are no longer available. Cheap is not always the best way to go.

Hope this helps.

> On Oct 30, 2020, at 6:25 PM, Delia Harrop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone have any views about this information I received from a rep.
> I was under the impression that AEDs lasted “forever” if looked after properly and checked on a regular basis.
> I was also under the impressions that AEDs were “self-checking” and therefore should not require the “aautomated test sequences” to ensure quality??
> I have never heard of, and can’t find any information regarding “regulatory guidelines for defibrillators”.
> Can anyone tell me if this exists and if so, where to find the info please?
>
> Looking forward to reading your comments.

> This is what the rep sent to me:
> Please see here some information regarding our fully-inclusive service cover for just 50p a day (including training).
>
> Currently within the UK a high number of AED’s do not work when needed due to improper care or passing beyond the 5-7 year shelf life of a device. The majority of these devices were sold without full service cover or the owners believed that the machines are capable of looking after themselves. As an important piece of lifesaving equipment defibrillators need professional care. Without this the device will become an ornament.
>
> Defib Machines are the UK’s leading provider of all-inclusive life-saving defibrillator packages, including a full service package available for just 50p a day. As an important piece of emergency equipment it is vitally important that your defibrillator is maintained properly.
>
> Our all-inclusive AED service offering provides;
>
> Installation of AED on a wall bracket or cabinet for visibility;
> Full onsite training, annual refresher training and Signage;
> Annual onsite Health Checks and Testing Certificates;
> Emergency and Service Call Outs;
> Pad and Battery Management;
> Optional upgrade to a new Defib Machine;
>
> Verifying the AED is delivering the appropriate shock to different patients could be the difference that saves a person’s life. Our servicing package offers first-in-class defibrillator analysers to;
>
> Test all impedance loads, ranging from infants to adults;
> Reduce human error during testing through pre-set, automated test sequences ensure quality;
> Assurance by abiding to the strictest regulatory guidelines for defibrillators;
>
> For just 50p a day your defibrillator will be kept in full working order giving you full peace of mind the device will work when called upon.
>
> If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch
>
> Many thanks,
>
> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH>

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: