Dear colleagues,

A few weeks ago we asked those of you in local authorities for some information as to how you manage the storage and retrieval of paper records. Thank you very much for all who took part, this has been very helpful for us. Please find a summary of responses received below, including our own response. If you have any queries or comments – please don’t hesitate to get in touch off-list.

Summary of responses

Number of responses

Total: 13

County Councils: 5

City Councils :7

Utility Organisation: 1

Record storage

In house: 4

Off-site: 1

Mixture of in-house and off-site: 7

The decision on what is stored where is guided by high retrieval rates, short retention or high volume.

Retrieval times and annual volumes

Under 48 hours: 9

Over 48 hours: 3

Weekly delivery: 1

The number of annual file requests made/processed by the respondents varies between 200 and over 5000 and there are great variances in how this is counted, i.e. by request or individual files/boxes – some receive their requests as scans.

Schools records

Hold school records: 7

No school records: 3

Only closed school records: 3

Of those who hold school records, only 3 make a minimal cost recovering charge.

External Customers

3 of the respondents have external customers whom they charge.

Costs to the Local Authority

Over £100k: 3

Under £100k: 5

Unsure: 5

Samira Teuteberg

Principal Records Officer

East Sussex County Council

The Record Centre, Unit D Ropemaker Park, Hailsham BN27 3GU&

County Hall, St Anne’s Crescent, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1UE

[log in to unmask] | www.eastsussex.gov.uk

T: 01273 337580

M: 07834 171757

cid:image001.png@01D239C4.7A1AB6B0

This message is intended for the use of the addressee only and may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender and destroy it. You may not use it or copy
it to anyone else.

E-mail is not a secure communications medium. Please be aware of this
when replying. All communications sent to or from the County Council
may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with
relevant legislation.

Although East Sussex County Council has taken steps to ensure that this
e-mail and any attachments are virus free, we can take no responsibility
if a virus is actually present and you are advised to ensure that the
appropriate checks are made.

You can visit our website at https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]