Focusing on enforcement is police state mentality.

Compliance is what we want.
People will generally comply if they see the sense behind the rule.
So Number of households per day makes sense.

If x% do not comply, it is not important epidemiologically as long as x is small. If the x% understand the rationale, their activity too will be affected e.g. looking out for their grandmas.

John Bibby

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 13:12, John Whittington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At 08:11 12/09/2020, Martin Rathfelder wrote:

>Isnt the point that this rule is seen as enforceable?

Who knows.  In practical/realistic terms, it's only 'enforceable'

(given that enforcement can only follow 'detection') in relation to

gatherings in 'public places', outdoor places that are easily visible

(like 'front gardens') and in relation to indoor gatherings so

large/obvious (like large noisy parties) that they become

'noticed'.  The police (or 'marshals') are not going to

(realistically cannot) go around knocking on doors at random to

discover who is inside houses.

Whatever, however 'enforceable' one perceives it to be, "two

households" (as, if I recall, was the rule at an earlier stage in the

epidemic) is surely no less easy to enforce than "6 people", and

would seem (to me) to be much preferable - as I said, there surely is

a big difference between the meeting of two households (regardless of

the number of people) and the meeting of 6 people, each from

different multi-person households?

The problem of 'serial gatherings' seems insuperable, so one can but

rely on public common sense and 'responsibility' (which unfortunately

sometimes seems to be sadly lacking) - unless, that is, you can think

of another solution.  In fact, the government don't seem to have said

anything about this.  Even though enforcement of any rule about this

would essentially be impossible, they could at least 'recommend' that

people do not meet in more than one (different) 'group of 6' on the

same day (or whatever time period), but they don't seem to have

mentioned that at all.  As things stand, 'serial meetings, even on

the same day, would seem to be 'allowed', so there is currently

nothing to enforce in this regard.

Kind Regards,

John

> [...]

>>different household than for a person from one household getting

>>together with 5 others, each from different (multi-person)

>>households, isn't there?

>>Kind Regards,

>>John

>>Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225

>>Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893

>>Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   [log in to unmask]

>>Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

>>******************************************************

>>Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your

>>message will go only to the sender of this message.

>>If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's

>>'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically

>>to [log in to unmask].

>>Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the

>>sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of

>>views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find

>>out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and

>>read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to

>>visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.

>>*******************************************************

>--

>Martin Rathfelder

>22 Blair Road

>Manchester

>M16 8NS

>07968703740

>Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your

>message will go only to the sender of this message.

>If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's

>'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically

>to [log in to unmask].

>Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the

>sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of

>views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find

>out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and

>read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to

>visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.

John

Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225

Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893

Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   [log in to unmask]

Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your

message will go only to the sender of this message.

If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's

'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically

to [log in to unmask].

Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.

==  Special Coronavirus issue of Radical Statistics - over 100 pages.

Downloadable FREE from www.RadStats.org.uk