From: email list for Radical Statistics <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Moore, Robert <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Record low number of British butterflies baffles scientists.. False news crisis - a warning for any statistical survey of time varying phenomena.

If I’ve seen any swallows this year – it’s been in single figures. Wasps, a really notable absence. When I took my lunch into the garden on Monday two wasps immediately turned up. One cleared off, the other didn’t bother me. Probably didn’t like the look of my lunch. Annoying as they can be, they do have a role to play in the great scheme of things.

Lindy does daily counts and the annual butterfly census for this area – very sharp decline in numbers this year, but this has happened before and numbers usually recover the next year.

To return to stats – maps of the distribution of birds, butterflies etc always look like human population maps. It’s people that do the counting so one would not expect it to be otherwise. But interesting things might be happening where there aren’t any people observing. While there might be a few ecologists out in the less populated areas they cannot provide the density of observation that you have in peoples’ back gardens and parks. Perhaps in any research project there is always an element of ‘what’s happening where I’m not looking?’

Robert