Hi,

I’m writing from Open City Documentary Festival in London, a non-fiction film festival based out of UCL Anthropology. Our tenth edition will take place online between 9th - 15th September, and all events are now up and on sale.

https://opencitylondon.com/2020-festival/

I wanted to get in touch about a film event that I thought would be of interest. Its an intelligent, engaging film about a never completed bridge intended to cross the rainforests of Southern Colombia, charting the various histories of the pathway and ill-fated bridge. The film was made by an Colombian anthropologist Simon Uribe, who has been studying the area and the history for a long time. The film can be rented online anywhere in the UK, and includes a Q&A with the director.

I also wanted to share a seperate special event we have, which uses an augmented sound work created by an anthropologist and sound artist to examine (amongst other things) colonial legacies in anthropological fieldwork. There will be a great conversation afterwards with a number of filmmakers and anthrpologists. The event is a livestream, available to watch worldwide.

Suspension

In the rainforests of southern Colombia, an imposing, unfinished concrete highway stretches out across the Amazonian tree line, its construction hindered by a combination of incompetence, political self-interest, and the obstinance of nature itself.

Available Weds 9th - 12th Sept. Online rental, tickets are £3.

https://opencitylondon.com/events/suspension-qa/

Expedition Content

Constructed from thirty-seven hours of tape recordings of the 1961 Harvard Peabody Expedition to West Papua (which resulted in the creation of a number of noted ethnographic works including Robert Gardner’s Dead Birds)Expedition Content is an augmented sound work that documents the encounter between the expedition group and the Hubula people.

Thurs 10th Sept, 7pm. Online livestream. tickets are £3.

https://opencitylondon.com/events/expedition-content/

Student & Industry Accreditation

Student Accreditation costs £12.50. Industry Accreditation is £25.

Info on both is here: https://opencitylondon.com/industry_/accreditation/

The deadline for accreditation is Wednesday 2nd September 2020.

Best,

Matt Turner
Marketing Manager, Open City Docs
Pronouns: he/him
Open City Documentary Festival | September 9th - 15th 2020 | Newsletter | Non-Fiction Journal

Anthropology Matters is a network of the ASA, who administer this list.

AM is used to communicate with postgraduate & postdoctoral anthropologists
working in the UK and abroad to provide alerts to: new issues of the Open Access
Anthropology Matters journal, and events of anthropological interest in the UK
anthropology community such as conferences and seminars or funding opportunities.

To join the ASA click here.

Join the list or view archived messages here.
To email the list use: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe please click here.