On Tuesday morning, at home under virus lockdown in Melbourne, historian
Jenny Hocking finally laid eyes on the secret letters she had fought for
years to see.

The scans on her screen were 45-year-old correspondence between the Queen
and her representative in Australia, Governor-General Sir John Kerr, during
a time of political tumult.

Specifically, the 1975 sacking of Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, a
charismatic, progressive leader who had been re-elected with a majority
just 18 months earlier.

In a political ambush on 11 November, he was dismissed and his government
dissolved by Sir John Kerr - who represented the Queen but was supposed to
act on the advice of the Australian prime minister.

https://bbc.in/3fQ1LeJ
https://bbc.in/3fQ1LeJ+

--
Peterk