My view would be that you would use other legislation such as Access to Health Records 1990 or a stand alone Information Sharing Agreement to release information. Definitely not FOI. We used to grant exceptional researcher status to view closed personal records under DPA 1998. I haven't checked to see if that's possible under GDPR explicitly but perhaps our archiving exemption would permit it?

V best

Sam