Thanks Simon,
I came across that blog a bit back and I've had a tab permanently devoted to it since, very useful indeed!  Sounds like we might need to chat with our resellers again and see how they stand... I'm not too keen on the idea of re-imaging at any point as one of the selling points (according to Microsoft at least) was that retaining the OEM image was important in terms of acquiring a well tuned device specific setup- I think I'm about 50% convinced by that...!

Jamie

From: Support issues for windows in UK HE & FE <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Simon Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 01 June 2020 16:15
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: MS Autopilot

Caution External Email: Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know that the content is safe.

Hi Jamie,

We’ve had great debate with our supplier about this very subject – the devices must come with a minimum of a Pro licence even if you are flattening and reloading with a different custom image – there are ways to get around that if you for example want IT staff to manually intervene with new devices when they arrive on site and sideload with your enterprise key, but that makes what is meant to be “zerotouch” a “some IT staff interaction required” process.  I even asked Michael Niehaus (Principle Program Manager for Autopilot) and even he confirmed the same.

This obviously will prove a challenge whereby budgets mean procurement of devices with Home SKU as in the case of you guys over there at Bradford, and it certainly requires a fair amount of internal marketing to accept – offsetting that extra cost against FTE resource saved from building devices or triggering images manually is a good starting point.

As an aside – there is a great blog by Michael Niehaus for anyone who wants to keep abreast of technical developments – https://oofhours.com/

Kind Regards,

Simon