Dear engaged scholars,

   First, Dr. Coles, a warm note of concern in these impossible times, yet full of possibility. Please convey to your son that entire strangers, not only his mother, think his existence wonderful, beautiful and necessary. To believe that without fail.  Nor should a mother bear the awe full/awful work of parenting without similar recognition. It is possible to see all that in you from your words.

   Second, in New England, we are just beginning a reckoning with myth and fact in Atlantic trade writing and history.  It is prompted by two dedicated scholars, one an historian and the other literary.

https://www.mainepublic.org/post/maines-role-slave-trade-little-known-history-slave-trading-new-england

    While history and literature can be simply abstractions in our lives, they need not be. Recently, our neighborhood began struggling (neighbor work must be holy it is so hard) on how and why to change our seaside street name. We learned it memorializes a suspected triangle trade shipbuilder.  It’s a small, small thing yet work of consciousness with some ripples.

    What is that to the Spenser list? As Ibram Kendi guides us in his works, unraveling the race story—which requires huge efforts from literary scholarship—is still there to do if structural policies are to be weakened and dismantled. It is heartening to read how some do that now in the classroom. Can there be more?  What story does the FQ ultimately tell?
    Not only was colonialism underway, 1590 was the dawn of serious British engagement with the African coast and a vile economy was launched. The lead up to it might have had great impact on minds trying to express alternatives and consequences. We understand now that staunch abolitionists existed only in the midst of virulent need for them.  Is there a place to introduce related AfAm studies/enslavement archives? They are rich resources.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/blackhistory/africa_caribbean/africa_trade.htm

     Thank you for the Folger statement circulation.  Those of us on local arts & humanities boards need this example of leadership.

Kind regards, Paula C.
(Nonacademic attorney who fell head over heels decades ago for FQ—someone a bit like Dr. Warkentin’s business student.
We exist.)