Thanks, Doug. That’s helpful. The great man is a premiership AFL football
coach (of The Hawks, hence griffin in the poem) and long time friend of the
family. At 92, he was last week elevated to ‘official Legend’ status, a
distinction shared by only 29 others in the 120 y o league. I think I may
be gilding the lily to add the further sense of ongoing shame. Besides
anything else, I had forgotten they were 4-line stanzas and the addition of
two lines in tercet form looks odd. And to keep it from the boy’s
perspective, I will stop at gawk.

Bill