The New York Times has a story about mortality data. They compare different mortality shocks to give a sense of scale.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/10/world/coronavirus-history.html?referringSource=articleShare

And this story gets into the details of how deaths are accounted for.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

best,
Christie Aschwanden