Ah, thanks for this Helen. This aligns with what I was suggesting way back toward the beginning of this thread about sorting mono- and disyllables given regional accents. My example was "bowl" and "boil." In the North of the US, the first is a monosyllable and the second a disyllable. In the South (or parts thereof), it's exactly the opposite.

Wouldn't "flower" be a disyllable in Glasgow too? Though I'm not adept enough at sorting the varieties of Irish, Scots, and Welsh.

Thinking back to Spenser perhaps, has anyone ever tried to recreate what his accent might have been? Would his original Londonese have been affected at all by his years in Ireland, or would his class and position have had the opposite effect? Do we imagine all the characters in Faerie Queene speaking the same way? Should Orgoglio sound a bit Napolese perhaps? Arthur a bit Welsh? Timias should presumably sound like a Devon man.

Hannibal

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 7:26 AM Vincent, Helen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

‘Flower/Tower/Power’ are words whose pronunciation as one or two syllables or something in between varies extremely across the UK today – monosyllabic in Ulster and two syllables so separate they are almost separate words in Wales. I don’t know what the variations in pronunciation in early modern times would have been, but I’m sure they’re reflected in at least some spelling and rhyme/meter choices.

Best wishes,

Helen

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Scott Lucas
Sent: 23 May 2020 20:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: print vs. pronunciation

External Email: This email originated from outside of the National Library of Scotland. Do not click links or open attachments unless you have verified the sender and know the content is safe.

Thanks for this thought about "naked," Elisabeth.  I have to say I had not noticed the monosyllabic pronunciation "nak'd" before in reading early modern verse, but then again, I was not looking for it!  Your thought about "naked" as a participle made into an adjective is a good one!

As for flower/tower/power, these words are spelled in the modern way in the 1559 and 1563 Mirror for Magistrates editions, but they are always monosyllabic.  Thomas Sackville does spell the past tense of the verb "to flower" as "flowred," though (or at least the person who prepared his "Induction" for the press did).  This, too, is one syllable.

Thanks,

Scott