This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

At the Museums Association (MA) we are working hard to respond to the Covid-19 public health emergency and advocate for the vital support that our member organisations and their workers and volunteers need at this time.

We wanted to share a number of changes we’ve made to ensure as many people as possible can benefit from our membership and advocacy.  These include: increased advocacy and support, new digital content, and a range of new membership discounts to keep you engaged, informed and inspired throughout this period.

1. Increased advocacy and support

We are making a strong case for museums and everyone working in and with them across the four nations of the UK. We will continue to advocate to governments and funders for the support we need to ensure the future of our collections and institutions.

2. New digital content

We have taken the decision to pause publishing Museums Journal in print until September. However, this does not mean that its content will stop.

We are significantly increasing our digital output to respond to the sector’s needs and to support museum workers and volunteers by offering more online content to help develop their knowledge.

This will include practical advice, sources of help, and top tips on professional development, networking and wellbeing during this period of isolation.

3. Opening the Museums Journal and Museum Practice archive

We are immediately opening online access to all Museums Journal and Museum Practice content to all staff or volunteers working in institutional member organisations until September 2020.

This content will help museum workers and volunteers stay up to date on the best practice by accessing a plethora of articles, past and present, including news, analysis, opinion and reviews. We bring together case studies and examples of best practice, so that you can learn from the latest work taking place in museums around the world.

To take advantage of the free online access, please register for our website and include the name of your organisation to confirm you are eligible.

4.  50% new member discount on Essential membership for all staff and volunteers working in institutional member organisations

We are also offering all staff and volunteers in institutional member organisations an annual Essential Membership for just £24 – this will give them vital access to our Museum Essentials online learning programmes on Museum Ethics, Collections and more to come.

You simply need to use this code to get this great deal: ESSENTIAL50

5. 50% discount on new Essential memberships for freelancers in the sector

We recognise the specific challenges freelancers face in this period of uncertainty, so we’re also offering 50% off new Essential memberships to freelancers working in or with museums. This will allow access to our vast archive of Museums Journal and Museum Practice content, as well as the latest online learning programmes and more.

Please use the following code to join today and access your benefits: FREELANCE50

6. Commercial members

We will also be helping out our commercial members by allowing new and renewing members to spread the cost of their membership fee. For further information and to discuss your options please contact Emma Randall.

7. Regular updates

We will be in touch regularly by increasing our e-newsletter three times a week. Each newsletter will be considerably shorter, featuring 3-4 articles to keep you updated on our advocacy and share the latest museum news from around the four nations of the UK – as well as some inspiration to keep you motivated or simply bring a smile as we navigate this period.

In these uncertain times your support of the museum sector through membership really does make a difference. The Museums Association does not receive any government funding and the vast majority of our resources are generated through membership.

Your commitment to membership allows us to continue supporting museums and those working in and with museums.

Regards

Emma

Emma Randall

Marketing & Membership Officer

Museums Association

E: [log in to unmask]

W: www.museumsassociation.org

Museums Association, 42 Clerkenwell Close, London EC1R 0AZ

+44 (0)20 7566 7830

Coronavirus - please note that our offices are fully closed until further notice. We are working remotely and will be contactable by phone and emails. We will not be able to send out any post and incoming post will not be delivered, therefore please do not send anything to our offices.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST