I'm starting to have nightmares about what we have in chat from the last couple of months! Much private chat (aka banter) should probably be deleted after a few days, but occasionally in the middle of it will be two or three posts which are reasonably important. Short of cut and paste (or screen shot) there doesn't appear to be any way of saving the important bits. Similarly, applying retention is very much all private chat or nothing...

Donald

Sent: 13 May 2020 10:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [External] creating an archive of yammer and MS Team chats

Hi Neil

"If someone stops to have a conversation with a colleague by the water cooler, there hasn't been any need or efforts made to record all those and archive them. Similarly when a business meeting is held you capture the key discussion and decisions in minutes or memos but you don't record every word that everybody said and archive those.

So why do the rules have to be different when that chat is taking place in Teams, Skype or Yammer?"

It's a good point but in Acas we just don't work that formally any more. Only the senior leadership meetings and big projects get minutes and they are largely a set of action points. It's completely changed since I started work. I last saw a memo around 15 years ago perhaps?

The MS Teams work in particular is basically one long meeting not pinned down to one time or space that I think we might need to capture. The less formal stuff in Yammer I am more relaxed about. It may be just enough to show that we set up these yammer groups and what they covered.

Thanks for replying, it's helping me have a think about what we need to preserve.

Best Wishes
Elizabeth

Should this communication contain any discussion of legal matters,
this is not to be taken as an authoritative interpretation of the law.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
addressee only. If you are not the named recipient, you must not use,
disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication.
If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then
delete this email from your system.

Acas - Help & advice for employers and employees.

For more information about any of our services, visit our website
at www.acas.org.uk<http://www.acas.org.uk>

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The information in this email is solely for the intended recipients.

If you are not an intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, or distribute its contents or use them in any way: please advise the sender immediately and delete this email.

Perth & Kinross Council does not warrant that this email or any attachments are virus-free and does not accept any liability for any loss or damage resulting from any virus infection. Perth & Kinross Council may monitor or examine any emails received by its email system.

The information contained in this email may not be the views of Perth & Kinross Council. It is possible for email to be falsified and the sender cannot be held responsible for the integrity of the information contained in it.

General enquiries to Perth & Kinross Council should be made to [log in to unmask] or 01738 475000.