Hi Marjolein,

I'm one of the people behind the comedy science podcast Level Up Human.  Here is a link in case you want to hear how we work.

https://play.acast.com/s/leveluphuman/3697ea9f-fafe-4e5e-9aa9-acc4048e0dad

Which podcast platforms / aggregators can you recommend? Paid or free?
We are on Acast.  The downside is that there are adverts which is something in a perfect world, I would rather not be subjecting our listeners too.  The upside is there are adverts, so we make a little money and the hosting is free.  We had been on soundcloud which was great but expensive.
I would argue that one of podcast's great strengths is that they can live online free forever.  Whatever you decide on, try and make room in the project for true longevity.

Is anyone using YouTube for podcasts, even if this would mean to add some generic visual to make it a “video”?
Even if you cannot "visuallise" your podcast, it can still be worthwhile putting it on YouTube.  It will hit an entirely different audience.

I was thinking that this would also allow closed captions / subtitles.
Good show notes/a transcript would be way better than this, if accessibility is a priority.

To get to grips with your other questions, it would be best to ask yourself why you want to podcast?  It tends to be broadcast so not actually a good method for actual good 2 way communication and learning.  In our case we have true PE but mainly because our podcasts are nearly all recorded live in front of an audience who interact with the guests and take part in the discussion, vote on outcomes etc.  The recording has a secondary and different purpose of reaching the kind of people who cannot or would not come to our live events.

I would say that its a great medium to experiment in with relatively small overheads and costs to entry.  BUT it is an increasingly crowded market and most podcasts are merely shouting into the void.  Having a podcast has become the "I have a screenplay" of our time.  It would be wise to have an idea of what "success" would look like to you.

If you have people you want to get out there it may be of greater value to you to try and get your experts onto already established shows. My podcast for instance is always hungry for people with expertise who are up for a bit of fun while talking about their research.

Hope that was useful, and if there is anything else you want to know, feel free to get in touch and we can have a chat.
Simon

 TW @SimonDWatt

www.SimonWatt.co.uk

Comedy with a conservation twist - uglyanimalsoc.com  TW @UglyAnimal

Podcast- www.LevelUpHuman.com - TW @LevelUpHuman

Book - "The Ugly Animals: We Can't All be Pandas"