Sent from my iPhone
Professor Jane Sandall
King’s College, London

On 14 May 2020, at 09:55, Johanne Dagustun <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks to the RCM for alerting us to this. Here's the NMC  statement on the new appointments, which sees the (delayed) departure of the current midwife Council Member in the Autumn:
 https://www.nmc.org.uk/news/news-and-updates/nmc-council-appointments-2020/

Good questions, Billy. I have a few more. Do we have any 'NMC watchers' amongst us who can tell us how unusual the current situation is, ie of a retiring midwife Council Member not being replaced?  And since when has there been no requirement for the Council to include a midwife? Given that other Council members are up for replacement in Spring 2021,  is the half-year absence of a midwife on the Council a huge problem, or is it better to focus efforts on (a) understanding why it might not always be possible for a midwife to take up one of the 6 places for professionals on the Council, and (b) how the profession might ensure that there are good candidates put forward for the role in 2021?

Jo Dagustun
Volunteer, AIMS

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Billie Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 14 May 2020 09:44
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: No midwife on NMC council

Hi all
My understanding is that the position for a midwife on NMC council was advertised several months ago. I’m not sure whether there were no applicants or NMC wasn’t able to appoint.
To me the key issue is that NMC council should not be able to be quorate without representation from both professions - I can’t imagine council convening with representation from nursing! Whilst I am in support of separate regulation for midwifery, that feels like a long battle given previous history  - perhaps lobbying energies should be focused on the representation issue?
All the best
Billie

Billie Hunter, RCM Professor of Midwifery & Director, WHO Collaborating Centre for Midwifery Development, School of Healthcare Sciences, Cardiff University.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOW WORKING PART TIME ( 2.5 days a week),  SO THERE MAY BE A DELAY IN MY REPLY. THANK YOU

Sent from my iPhone - apologies for any typos