Dear Rosemary,

The level of anti-Jewish rhetoric in the Ascension sermon seems, sadly, par for the course for the 12th century. Some of the rhetoric in the Easter sermon seemed particularly egregious, however, and so I'm less sure there -- though remember, of course, that Holy Week was the period of the liturgical year when those tensions were at their worst. I'm afraid that I don't have the expertise to evaluate it any more specifically, however -- but perhaps someone else on the list can weigh in?

--Nathaniel