Dear friends,

As we continue to adjust to this strange time of pandemic, I've rendered
another sermon from the 12th-century *Speculum Eccleisae* of Honorius
Augustodunensis -- this time, for today's Feast of the Ascension:
http://nathaniel-campbell.blogspot.com/2020/05/sermon-for-ascension-honorius-augustodunensis-speculum-ecclesiae.html
. Notably, Émile Mâle determined that this sermon inspired the Ascension
panels of the central lancet window (13th. cen.) of the apse in Lyons
Cathedral (I've included images with the translation).

I have not forgotten that there were several questions posed in response to
the Easter sermon I posted in April (answering them got lost amidst grading
papers). Rosemary Hayes noted quite rightly that the brothers of Canterbury
Cathedral were monks, not canons. But as with all biographical data for
him, the question of Honorius' profession is far from clear, and is
particularly complicated by his itinerancy. Some manuscripts declare him a
canon (Cambridge, Corpus Christi College 66 even places him specifically at
the church of St. Mary in Mainz), while others describe him as a *monachus*,
*inclusus*, or *solitarius*, in addition to being *presbyter et
scholasticus*. Because of his wandering ways, however, the profession of
canon makes the most sense, and so his early connections with Canterbury
must have been as an ecclesiastic outside of the cathedral chapter itself.

The fuzziness of our data concerning Honorius likewise complicates any
answer to Stephen Miller's question concerning a possible date for the
sermon collection. For the moment, our best conjectures are those of
Valerie Flint, who spent decades studying Honorius, and summarized her
conclusions (which evolved over time) in her 1995 volume, *Honorius
Augustodunensis of Regensburg* (Authors of the Middle Ages 6, ed. P. J.
Geary; Variorum / Ashgate). Honorius's earliest work, the *Elucidarius*,
was likely composed in the last year or two of the 11th century, while he
was in some way associated with Canterbury (there are numerous direct
connections to Anselm). Although no manuscripts of English provenance
survive of the *Speculum Ecclesiae*, Honorius's prefatory letter addressing
it to the monks of Canterbury indicates that he had recently visited them,
at which time they requested the work. This suggests that he was still in
England (but no longer at Canterbury) when he composed the sermons. Shortly
after writing them, however, he likely made his migration to Germany. Flint
has suggested that this move to Germany came about 1109/1110, after St.
Anselm's death, in search of better preferment. I find the possibility
tantalizing, though utterly unproveable, that he made the move in the
entourage of Mathilda, daughter of King Henry I of England, as she traveled
to marry Emperor Henry V in 1110. He eventually settled in Regensburg
(Flint conjectures as a canon of the *Alte Kapelle*), where we can pinpoint
him at the very least by the late 1120's, when he was writing under the
patronage of the city's bishop, Cuno of Raitenbuch.

I hope everyone enjoys the Ascension Day sermon!

--Nathaniel Campbell

Email: [log in to unmask]
Blog: http://nathaniel-campbell.blogspot.com/
Academia.edu Profile: http://unionky.academia.edu/NathanielCampbell