One area where place-name enthusiasts may be able to contribute is the identification of lost place-names which survive as surnames (sometimes in an altered form).   Here are some which I have noted in the dictionary, but there are many more.
Keith

Allsebrook (Derbyshire?)
Baden (south)
Brewington (Suffolk?)