Dear Ray -- an interesting extension of Susan's metaphor. Just two brief
comments:

*... the opposite, i.e. hubris “I can fly my plane the way I want to”, and
a failure to read, or believe, the flight manual. Most prevalent is a
failure to properly care for the passengers (i.e. the readers). The
passengers want a smooth predictable flight, in a straight line. *

1. Sure, I've seen those too. But if they're serious about their work,
hubris gets knocked out of them soon enough when they participate in peer
reivew with a high bar. When an aspiring author can't revise further --
though I intuit that clarity hasn't been achieved yet -- I say something
like, "Well, then I think it's ready to submit it to true peers, not this
'surrogate peer' (me) for real-life feedback."

Once they've gone through the full process successfully a couple of times,
I find they're either exhuberant, itching for more, the more demanding the
better. Or they think "it's is too much effort" and stop writing papers.
But I also find they're better readers and practitioners (my "student"
clients are clinicians) as a result of having engaged.

As for writers at a stage where they don't know where they're heading yet,
don't we all find that out through revising our own thoughts through
writing, getting feedback, revisiting? Good pre-submission, in-house peer
review (mentors, colleagues, a facilitating editor like me...) furthers
that process, but real submission to top-flight journals brings it all
home. And hones a writer's skills so the reader gets a smoother flight.
There's no point in submitting before an engaged peer reviewer has "safe
passage" to the message in the paper.

2. As for what readers want (smooth, predictable, straight line), dunno
about that. They don't want to crash, true. But the metaphor breaks down.
Some of the best reads of my life were so exciting they had me pacing the
floor. And my eyes popping with the intelligible surprises I was treated to!

Very best, stay safe,
Mary Ellen Kerans, in Barcelona, where phase 1 starts tomorrow

Mary Ellen Kerans
Barcelona, SPAIN