Dear all

The passage that Sian points to in Susan's mail impacted me too, having
just co-authored a book:* Academic phrases - in research papers, projects
and articles, *(translated title, in publication, Rienecker, Stray
Jørgensen, Jakobsen 2020)  in Danish - inspired by the English language
phrasebanks by Morley (Manchester phrasebank) and Godfrey (2013) and the
works of Swales and Flowerdew, among others. It contains a phrasebank with
hundreds of (variations of) phrases currently used in Danish academic
writing, collected from a corpus of published, peer reviewed articles and
reports.

Yes, I have heard it many times before: (teaching) Academic writing is
restricting, deadening, normative and stifling of the writer's own voice
and language, independence, autonomy and creativity. And language concerns
may unintendedly override content and meaning, in supervisory and editorial
feedback. And indeed, it may be, and it may do.

But there is also another way of seeing guidelines, phrasebanks, textbooks
and resources on academic language, and that is as a way into academic
writing for new students and young researchers, for professionals,
non-native speakers, for adult learners, and for their supervisors and
editors in their varying degree of experience.

Two examples of where and how phrases may be a way into not just "the right
words" but also into the right, but difficult elements and components of
academic writing.

1. In 2011 I co-authored a report on 41 Ph.d. assessments at a Danish
university. We found that a number of the theses were critisized for not
stating their contribution explicitly. Phrases to that effect were absent.
Now if you read a phrasebank, and see phrases like "My contribution will be
..." then you are presented with those phrases, and that whole element and
option comes to your attention. And hopefully you and your supervisor will
discuss how to phrase your contribution.

2. In my work I have read countless theses, projects and articles, and I
have noticed that criticism of the works of others is often rare and hard
to find suitable phrases for. You may not easily find such phrases when
reading articles and textbooks in your field. And there it might be a
reminder to find an entry in a resource about words and phrases that
address problems, methodological flaws etc. in own and in other's works: A
reminder that you can address such difficult matters with suitable phrases.
And not resort to formulations that may sound too offensive, too subjective
or non-professional, or biased. Or just refrain from  addressing issues
that seem too difficult to tackle linguistically.

These are just two examples of how a focus on phrases and on a sentence and
word level, might prove useful for the writer, and for the teacher or
supervisor/editor of academic writing.

I think of addressing academic phrases as an opening up of possibilities of
expression in academe. And those are always open to dialogue and discussion.

Best regards, and thanks to Susan for raising this issue,
Lotte Rienecker
Educational consultant, text book writer

*Adresse: *Bangsbovej 35, 2720 Vanløse
*Mobil:* 20 42 53 62
*Hjemmeside:*
https://lotterienecker.dk
*Den gode opgaves hjemmeside;*
dengodeopgave.dk

*Udgivelser i 2019:*
http://www.samfundslitteratur.dk/
<http://www.samfundslitteratur.dk/bog/god-vejledning>

Den tor. 21. maj 2020 kl. 09.21 skrev Sian Lund <