I can only confirm that some of the best non-fiction/academic writers I know are trained lawyers. As long as they don’t lose themselves in legalese, they understand the importance of focus, flow, and clarity in reaching and guiding their readers.

Von: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions <[log in to unmask]> Im Auftrag von Susan Mitchell
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Mai 2020 13:26
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: Many thanks for all your replies, plus anadiplosis to generate flow.

Hi Mary Ellen,

Thank you for sending a copy of the paper below:

Intervention and revision: expertise and interaction in text mediation

N Luo, K Hyland - Written Communication, 2017 - journals.sagepub.com

I found it definitely worth reading.

For those who haven’t read the paper, a short synopsis might be:  A Chinese scholar wishing to publish science research internationally gets three ‘mediators’ to help. The first has subject-specific knowledge but is prevented from communicating directly with scholar. The second has subject-specific knowledge but won’t listen to the scholar. The third has English and Law degrees and pools intellectual resources with the scholar.

[Any similarities of this synopsis with the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is purely coincidental.]

Which mediator proved to be the best? I think that you can guess.

It chimes strongly with my thinking – that it is difficult, or even impossible, to help someone produce a highly publishable paper unless you work with them, pool skills and knowledge,  thrash it out with lots of questions (on my part) and lots of robust discussion (or their part), while partaking of random Brownian motion generator beverages – i.e. several cups of tea or coffee.

However, although the paper is fascinating it is not entirely balanced. It would have been interesting to have had a mediator with subject-specific knowledge prepared to pool intellectual resources and another mediator from a non subject-specific area who was unable or unprepared to communicate with the scholar. Then, although I acknowledge that this would have been difficult to do in a real-life situation - any conclusions might have had more weight.

It would also have been interesting to explore whether the cooperative ability of the third mediator, his/her English degree or his/her Masters degree in Law that provided the third mediator with the ‘edge’. Lawyers are encouraged to interrogate information and people all the time, and that approach certainly lends itself to the sceptical, adversarial and persuasive nature of academic writing.

In fact, I put it to you – ladies and gentlemen of the jury - that, as an academic group, lawyers often make the best academic writers. (Their only weakness to my mind is their lack of a need of a historical perspective. Lawyers usually only need to reference the most recent judicial ruling.)

Have a good day.

With very best wishes,

Susan