From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Mary Ellen Kerans
Sent: 26 May 2020 15:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Many thanks for all your replies, plus anadiplosis to generate flow.

Helen, I'm pretty sure we'd all "advise" using "anadiplosis" (theme-rheme progression in my parlance) when it helps. It's eye-opening for developing authors to realize that's what they're doing when they're revising at their best. So I think it should be explicitly taught more often than it is. But it doesn't fix everything that might be wrong with a paragraph (the level we've been talking about).

And it's not the only resource available. There's paralellism (which isn't just on the phrase level, though it's often taught as if it were). There are trusty linking strategies (first.... second...). English relies a great deal on lexical ties and formal ties between word roots. And languages differ in their "criteria for excellence" for internal reasons -- Romance and other languages with a lot of number/gender ties might rely less than English on lexical ties, for instance, possibly explaining why some paragraphs look "unconnected" to me but not to the author I'm working with. (Not sure -- ask a native speaker of those languages.)

That's off the top of my head. I bet others who are more studious can think of more.