Dear all,

Feel invited to the fab virtual lecture on "Archiving Pain: On Crip Queer Evidence" from Alyson Patsavas, the University of Illinois at Chicago that my colleagues organize on 7 May. .

Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/4372662286092569/

Abstract:
This talk weaves personal experience, archival research, and a photo-essay together to ask how we might crip and queer evidence of pain. Philosophers, doctors, and pain studies scholars alike lament the absence of objective measurement tools to verify and prove pain’s existence. Arguments of pain’s purported resistance to language (Scarry) and uniquely subjective nature abound to frame personal accounts of pain as flawed, provisional, and suspect. Biomedicine has, in turn, offered an assortment of supplementary diagnostic tools meant to evidence pain—from pain scales to pain tracking apps. Despite the fantasy of certainty that such “biocertifications” (Samuels) offer, experiences of pain remain widely dismissed among women, older adults, and racial and ethnic minorities because of the absence of objective measurement tools. In this talk, I juxtapose material from a history of pain medicine collection with personal accounts of pain to track and interrogate the gaps between two differing archives of pain. In doing so, I outline dominant pain epistemologies and, drawing from critical theory’s interrogations and re-imaginings of archives, theorize what constitutes crip and queer evidence of pain.

Magda(lena) Szarota

Department of Sociology | Lancaster University

E: [log in to unmask]
TT:  @Magda_Szarota
--

Steering Committee Member, Feminist Alliance for Rights/The Center for Women's Global Leadership, Rutgers University, http://feministallianceforrights.org
Board Member, Humanity in Action Poland, www.humanityinaction.org

________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.