Has anyone written anything about pedagogical approaches to teaching contemporary archaeology?

I'm currently looking forward to planning my third iteration of a term-long practical course on contemporary archaeology - but this time to be delivered virtually/online. In previous year's I've worked with my second years to develop collaborative recording projects on our university's 1960s Student Union and the 20th/21st century use of a 19th century astronomical observatory. This year I may not be able to do anything quite the same - and I'm currently pondering ways I can get student's out doing practical recording work, but more self-guided. Thinking about either getting them to do some derive/psychogeographical mapping of their local area; or alternatively thinking about impact of COVID on the local environment (although there may be some practical /ethical issues about this). I'm sure we'll come up with something good (although ideas would be appreciated)

However, one of the biggest challenges I've found so far is in linking the applied/practical/praxis side of the discipline with the more theoretical aspects. I know there is a more general issue with getting students engaged with theory - but it seems to be a particular issue with this in contemporary archaeology where the theoretical element ramps up really quickly. I'm struggling with getting students to explore the literature -  unfortunately, we don't deliver much general background teaching on theory in our first year. I was wondering how other people have addressed this at UG level.

cheers
David
-------------------------- contemp-hist-arch is a list for news and events in contemporary and historical archaeology, and for announcements relating to the CHAT conference group. ------- For email subscription options see: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/contemp-hist-arch.html ------- Visit the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting dates: http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk --------------------------