Just was thinking of another unexpected side effect of all this, one that I at least had not considered until the other day - the knock-on effect of a lack of humans on wild or feral animals.

Pigeons in cities are apparently lacking our crumbs (and apparently rampaging mobs of seagulls have been sighted too):

https://www.dw.com/en/pigeons-at-risk-of-starvation-over-coronavirus-empty-streets/a-52965011

Obviously this raises issues of the ethics of feeding pigeons when millions of people go hungry (and wider debates about humans vs. non-humans ethics).

However it is interesting that those in the story lay the blame for the pigeons starvation on their 'domestication' by humans hundreds of years previously.

Guess wider knock-on effects might be things like less bird strikes at airports, less roadkill, and likely less sport hunting in some places but more subsistence in others. I also wonder what the air pollution drop will do long term to say insect levels and songbird numbers (e.g. if seagulls  end up taking more baby birds from nests than usual if not as much human food to be eaten).

Covid 19 lockdown has also been blamed for stopping Iceland's 2020 whaling season: https://www.indy100.com/article/iceland-whaling-2020-summer-season-cancelled-2020-whales-9496331

All potential arcaheological 'traces' I guess. Makes me think about the article (which Matt Edeworth co-authored)  on chicken bones as a marker of the anthropocene too:

Carys E. Bennett, Richard Thomas, Mark Williams, Jan Zalasiewicz, Matt Edgeworth, Holly Miller, Ben Coles, Alison Foster, Emily J. Burton and Upenyu Marume 2018. The broiler chicken as a signal of a human reconfigured biosphere. Royal Society Open Science. 5:12
http://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.180325

Take care

Jonny

Dr Jonathan Gardner, FHEA