Dear Sir/Madam,

I wonder if there are any established educational packages (e.g. ready-made digital learning packs, web-based resources) suitable for pupils aged 12-18 who are learning Mandarin Chinese language, regarding the Chinese collections you have at your museum/gallery or museum/gallery you know of? If so, could you please let me know the links to them? Secondly, I would like to propose a museum/school collaboration project and am looking for a museum who's willing to take part.

I am a Chinese teacher at a secondary school based on the Wirral (north west England). Prior to the school closure, I was planning to take some of my pupils to visit the Lady Lever Art Gallery (which is local to my school) as I believe the Chinese-themed displays there certainly will enrich my pupils' learning experiences. Now that the museum visit had to be cancelled/postponed due to the virus situation, I would like to set exciting work/projects for my students to work on. I am trying to find museum resources accessible for my home-bound pupils, in particular, ready-made digital learning packs/worksheets or web-based resources suitable for children aged 12-18, all English speakers. (In the future when the schools are re-opened, I might be looking to continue with my plan of museum visits.) But I did not find many suitable ones- many are for primary school students. Could you please point me to the right direction?

In long term, I am looking to pilot a project and possibly extend it (if the situation allows), regarding the collaboration between you as a museum (perhaps within reasonable travel distance/arrangement from my school) with relevant collections to my subject and classroom teaching/learning. Here are some of the ideas I currently have, but I am open to ideas/suggestions from you.

1. object/replica handling in the museum/gallery then students to create dialogues/drama (in classroom or museum/gallery) based on the objects handled and key Chinese vocab/topics pupils are currently learning.
2. museum staff come to the classroom with a loan box. Objects in the box are relevant to key vocab/topics. I am sure there are a lot of ways to make an object relevant to GCSE/Pre-U Chinese specifications.
3. my pupils to examine (either digitally or on-site in front of the display cabinets) museum collections (relevant to Chinese subject) to produce educational packs (on Chinese subjects, AQA GCSE and Pre-U Chinese specifications) for the host museum. This one can be a long term collaboration that lasts for weeks, perhaps one school term, say 6-7 weeks? Under the current social-distancing situation, I wonder if this can be done remotely, as many museums have online collection database.
4. your ideas/suggestions.
I would be grateful if you can let me know the costs for the above activities, so I can discuss with my budget holder before I can proceed further.
Is any of these something you would be interested in? Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much in advance.

Yours faithfully,
YiShan Lu

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] Anyone can join for free at any time by sending this message to [log in to unmask]: Join GEM Firstname Secondname Include only the text above, without email signature etc. The title of the email doesn’t matter. Send it to [log in to unmask] If you are going on holiday or have an out of office message for some other reason, you can send this message: Set GEM nomail When you get back: Set GEM mail You don’t 'miss' any messages by doing this as they are all available via main GEM list web page as above. Finally, if you need to change your email address, but stay subscribed to GEM, just send your new email address like this: CHANGE GEM [log in to unmask] + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +