Hello Mallory,
      It’s only step 2 that determines the registration target ( step 3 does carry out registration, but with the output of step 2. the -S/-T flags in step 3 only control how the skeleton is calculated ). However from your details below, something may have gone awry in step 2.

If you ran tbss_2_reg with the -T option, then target.nii.gz should be the FMRIB58 image ( 182x218x182 isotropic ). The file target_to_MNI152.nii.gz should not be created in this case, as the target is already in MNI152 space, and running an additional registration could cause some misalignment.

Can you confirm that target.nii.gz is identical to $FSLDIR/data/standard/FMRIB58_FA_1mm.nii.gz ? If it isn’t then I would recommend deleting your current outputs, and re-running toss_2_reg from the start.

Hope this helps,
Kind Regards
Matthew
Dr Matthew Webster