Ashley - yes, esp given that at least the early #'s indicated 80# of those affected by CV19 have mild illness. Knowing someone has the virus, does not mean they are going to be severely ill. Those who DO get ill, get VERY ill, and there is also literature documenting cases of severe ARDS from CV19 in which the "clinical" diagnosis was first may radiographically with testing turning positive later. We need both to address the public health and clinical dimensions, but we need to understand the different information and testing needs of both arenas.
Bill Cayley, Jr, MD MDiv  [log in to unmask]@prevea.comhttp://twitter.com/bcayleyWork: 715.286.2270Pager: 715.838.7940Mobile: 715.828.4636
   A cheerful heart is good medicine...  (Proverbs 17:22)

    On Thursday, April 23, 2020, 02:34:29 PM CDT, Ashley Kennedy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 #yiv6834206928 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}Is this because you think of clinical diagnosis as necessarily requiring a component of "what the clinician would or could do for the patient?"

-----------------------------

Ashley Graham Kennedy, PhD

Associate Professor of Philosophy

Honors College of Florida Atlantic University

ashleygrahamkennedy.weebly.com

From: Evidence based health (EBH) <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Bill Cayley, Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 3:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Covid 19 testing
|   |   | EXTERNAL EMAIL : Exercise caution when responding, opening links, or opening attachments. |
|   |

I am starting think in terms of viral testing (PCR, antibodies, etc), a public health tool to track the spread of the virus, as something fundamentally different that the clinical diagnosis of Covid-19 respiratory illness (ARDS, etc).
We need the first, to inform strategies to reduce the second.