Thanks all - also for jogging my memory.

Peter, I think Garib ended up doing something statistically sophisticated, but I couldn't track down the slides or documentation I remember seeing somewhere.  But I didn't dig very hard, and if it's been there since 2012, then that explains why I failed.

Thank god your supervisor and his/her ilk haven't had sole discretion over the research funding that's been supporting the algorithm and method developers all these decades;  if they had, we'd still in the year 2020 be wasting millions per project just to get those 200um crystals that yield the signal needed for the ancient algorithms to recognise the presence of a diffraction spot.

The other quiet revolution in structural biology:  algorithms.

Frank