 Dear colleagues,

You will no doubt be aware that late on Friday afternoon UCAS wrote to Vice
Chancellors and UCAS Primary Correspondents regarding a mid-cycle update to
their terms of service and admissions guide, with a deadline of 08 May to
accept the new terms.

Within this correspondence, they highlighted the following points:

   - *As a customer of the UCAS Undergraduate service, there is an
   expectation that all full-time undergraduate applications are processed via
   UCAS, and that the UCAS service should be identified as the route for
   application.*
   - * The standard application route should be used to recruit students.
   Records of Prior Acceptance should be used appropriately, and not to reduce
   choice for students.*
   - * Transmission of the type of offer, any academic conditions or other
   conditions which could result in a conditional offer becoming
   unconditional, subsequent decision/offer amendments, and Confirmation
   decisions, are to be made to the applicant through UCAS’ systems.*
   - * Offers made must clearly distinguish between those offer conditions
   which must be met to be placed on the programme of study, and those which
   are not an academic requirement (such as those that give priority access to
   services, or change the type of offer prior to the receipt of examination
   results).*
   - * These Terms of Service also clarify the nature of our data sharing
   relationship with government departments and regulators across the UK*

It also goes on to say:

   - *We may request that you provide us with certain information (about
   applicants and acceptances, for example), so we can audit and assure
   ourselves of adherence to our Terms of Service.*
   - * For the 2021 entry cycle, we will be developing a framework that
   recognises those institutions who follow our Terms of Service, along with
   information on how we will manage any instances where institutions fail to
   do so. We will send further information about this to your UCAS primary
   correspondent in the coming weeks *

While some is a more specific and strengthened articulation of
expectations, that have always existed, as requirements, other parts are
not and now includes reference to penalties.  The issues around direct
applicants, exclusive use of UCAS' systems, their right to demand
information from us and to audit us for compliance is concerning.  I also
think the timing is rather unhelpful, particularly when the sector is
largely focussed on trying to manage the Covid-19 pandemic.

As you know, there was a consultation group around the topic of business
rules last year, but having spoken with colleagues over the last few days
who were involved in that, there are various differences in what is being
presented now to what they were consulted on, and regardless, the request
from stakeholders was that this should be consulted more widely, through
UUK for example.  There was also an expectation that any changes would
accompany the launch of UCAS Sync so they could complement and support each
other in delivering a good applicant experience.

ARC will be robustly discussing the matter with UCAS, with the aim for them
to put the deadline for response to one side for now and instead engage in
a meaningful consultation with the sector about the finalised changes to
the terms of service they are proposing to bring in.  Various Vice
Chancellors are also raising this within UUK, to provide the same
expectation from UCAS on meaningful consultation.

We will keep you up to date as things develop.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Wiggins
Chair, Admissions Practitioner Group
Academic Registrar and Director of Student & Academic Administration,
University of Portsmouth.