Sent: 13 April 2020 17:58
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Reasons for asymptote

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and believe the content to be safe.

Thanks Allan.
Would you or anyone care to do a short article on stats in government
presentations? This is for a special coronavirus issue of Radical
Statistics.

Other topics also welcome. Max 2000 words by 1st May please.

Please forward to anyone who might be interested.

John BIBBY

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, 18:26 Allan Reese, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Today's Downing Street briefing on Covid19 included a line graph of
> numbers of patients in hospital with Covid19. The top line for London
> went over "4K" but appears to be levelling out in the last week. What
> would be helpful would be a reference line for the number of beds
> available in those hospitals - not obvious that the line demonstrates
> less demand rather than saturation.
>
> Also to note that the COBR (Cabinet Office Briefing Room) appear to pay
> little attention to informative labelling. The Y axis is labelled "0K,
> 2K, 4K" which is insultingly nerdy - do they mean 4000 or 4096? I doubt
> such "illiteracy" would be tolerated in the Civil Service for the text
> in a news release. It's boilerplate Excel, exported without revision.
>
> Allan
>
> --
> R Allan Reese, Dorchester Dorset
>
> You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
>
> SIGNOFF allstat
>
> to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.

SIGNOFF allstat

SIGNOFF allstat