Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to announce the publication of the first Surveillance & Society<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/issue/view/835> issue of 2020. Given the current global COVID-19 pandemic, we begin the issue with a rapid-response editorial<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13985/9169> on how a surveillance studies orientation could help us think critically about the present crisis and its possible aftermath. The issue also includes a diverse collection of open-issue articles and book reviews. Finally, we are delighted to conclude the issue by launching our new “Arts Forum” section and showcasing some of the winning artworks from SSN’s inaugural Arts Prize. (Special thanks to Susan Cahill, our Arts Forum editor, for pulling this new section together.)

Please see below and spread the word!

Sincerely,
Torin Monahan
__________________

New Issue: Surveillance & Society - Volume 18, Number 1 (2020)<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/issue/view/835>

Editorial

Editorial: Dis-ease Surveillance: How Might Surveillance Studies Address COVID-19? (Martin French & Torin Monahan) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13985/9169>]

Articles

Fusing Race: The Phobogenics of Racializing Surveillance (Marnie Ritchie) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13131/9153>]

Identifying Suspicious Bodies? Historically Tracing Criminal Identification Technologies in Portugal (Diana Miranda) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/12543/9155>]

Breaking the Order: The Intended and Unintended Consequences of Countersurveillance on the West Bank (Ori Swed) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/6564/9154>]

The Ambivalent Subject: Reconciling Contradictory Subjective Experiences of Surveillance (Joy Ciofi) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/12783/9156>]

Digital Sousveillance: A Network Analysis of the US Surveillant Assemblage (Colin Burke) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/12714/9157>]

Metadata, Jailbreaking, and the Cybernetic Governmentality of iOS: Or, the Need to Distinguish Digital Privacy from digital privacy (Thomas N. Cooke) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13118/9158>]

Assessing Dimensions of the Security-Liberty Trade-off in the United States (Brian S. Krueger, Samuel J. Best, Kristin Johnson) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/10419/9159>]

Book Reviews

Review of Lewis' Under Surveillance: Being Watched in Modern America (Jenna Harb) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13942/9160>]

Review of Benjamin's Captivating Technology: Race, Carceral Technoscience, and Liberatory Imagination in Everyday Life (Susila Gurusami) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13941/9161>]

Review of Atanasoski and Vora's Surrogate Humanity: Race, Robots, and the Politics of Technological Futures (Anita Lam) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13771/9162>]

Review of Sconce's The Technical Delusion: Electronics, Power, Insanity (Steven Kohm) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13939/9163>]

Review of Firth's A Billion Little Pieces: RFID and Infrastructures of Identification (Kean Birch) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13940/9164>]

Arts Forum

Making Visible the Creative Forms of Surveillance (Susan Cahill) [PDF<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/13777/9165>]