Betreff: WirVsVirus Hackathon -- Retrospect & R package
Datum: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:24:31 +0100
Von: Martin Lange <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

just wanted to share my experience during last weekend's WirVsVirus Hackathon, announced by the Federal Gouvernment and several other organizations, to counter Covid-19. It was the largest hackathon in history with more than 40k registered participants and over 1500 challenges, posed by ministries as well as the general public.
https://wirvsvirushackathon.org/

A complete list of the submitted solutions can be found here:
https://wirvsvirushackathon.devpost.com/submissions

----

Within 48 hors, our group of a hand full of active people that didn't know each other before, built an R package for automatic download of the latest Covid-19 data from the Robert-Koch-Institut, resolved down to administrative districts (Landkeise). The data is processed into a daily time series, by Landkreis or Federal State, as well as (optionally) sex and age group.
Further, the package provides
- Spatial data for Landkreise
- Population data for Landkreise and Federal States for easy analysis of relative numbers
- Hospital capacities per Federal State

Additionally, another guy from the UFZ (which we only realized afterwards ) built an R-Shiny app for visualization of the data, based on our package.

Project page: https://devpost.com/software/0999_zahlenundkurven_prognosedashboard
R package: https://github.com/nevrome/covid19germany
Shiny app: https://joboog.shinyapps.io/Covid19germany/

So, if you want to analyze Cov-data or use it for modelling, our package will get you started very easily.

More features and data sources (probably incl. global Johns Hopkins University dataset) will be added over the next days or weeks.

----

It was my first hackathon and a great experience. It spends a lot of hope to see so many people willing to spend their time and energy to help fight the virus!

Over the next week, a jury will select projects for further support and funding.
It was probably not the last event of this kind. I highly encourage you to take part if there is a next time.

Best regards,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Lange
- PrGr EcoEpi : Ecological Epidemiology -

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
Permoserstraße 15 / 04318 Leipzig / Germany

Dr. Birgit Müller
Head of Junior Research Group POLISES

Department of Ecological Modelling
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research GmbH - UFZ
Permoserstraße 15 / 04318 Leipzig / Germany
Telefon +49 341 235 1708 / Fax +49 341 235 1473

Personal hompage: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=15522
Project POLISES: http://www.polises.de and at UFZ-homepage at http://www.ufz.de/polises

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Leipzig
Registergericht/Registration Office: Amtsgericht Leipzig
Handelsregister Nr./Trade Register Nr.: B 4703
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats/Chairwoman of the Supervisory Board: MinDirig'in Oda Keppler
Wissenschaftlicher Geschäftsführer/Scientific Managing Director:
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Georg Teutsch
Administrative Geschäftsführerin/Administrative Managing Director:
Dr. Sabine König

To unsubscribe from the SIMSOC list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=SIMSOC&A=1