One thing to point out here is that ABMs modeling diseases are used to influence policy (e.g., https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214109X1500162X); however, the time horizons tend to be years in the future and the questions tend to be along the lines of "How long will a treatment be effective before it needs to be replaced?" These models typically take months to years to develop, calibrate, and run to generate sufficient data to be useful though.

I suspect the biggest problem we are encountering with COVID-19 is that most of the models out there are not generalized "platforms" that we can plug an illness into, but very specialized models of a particular, well understood, illness. It's hard to develop anything for COVID-19 when the literature still doesn't have a consensus on what the mortality rate is for example.