From: Nohrnberg, James C (jcn) <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2020 5:16 PM
To: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: name for a figure?

The emblematic armour of God, in the passage cited by Hannibal Hamlin, and itemized by its allegoria, and with its adoption urged upon a militant Pauline christianin Ephesians 6:13fis indeed an obvious example for Spenserians schooling themselves in Book I and its allegories and rhetorical forms.  The Redcrosse Knight, for example, should be wearing the  Pauline helmet of salvation, but he arrives at Despair—or his cave—with a terrified companion who is bare-headed (FQ I.ix.34):  that is, without “the [Pauline] hope of salvation for a helmet1 Thes. 5:8, after Isa. 59:17.  Sir Treuisan is disarmed by a lack of proper Christian hope. {See Luther on Gal. 5:5, “our righteousness is not in actual possession, but lies under hope.”  “This is a sweet and sound consolation, whereby afflicted and troubled consciences, feeling their sin, and terrified with every fiery dart of the devil, may be marvelously comforted;  For the feeling of sin, the wrath God, death, hell, and all other terrors, is intensely strong in the conflict of conscience; … Then counsel must be given to the tempted … For my righteousness is not yet perfect, it cannot yet be felt; yet I do not despair: for faith shows me Christ in whom I trust, and when I have laid hold of Him by faith, I wrestle against the fiery darts of the devil, and I take good heart through hope against the feeling of sin”: Commentary on Galatians:  Modern-English Edition[1924] (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House / Revell, 1988 edn. [1924 edn. reprint]), pp. 328-29).  These fiery darts reappear near the end of Spenser's Despair episode as "the brond of hellish smart" (I.ix.53) as quenched by grace.}
   The question being posed, however, is how does the rhetoricians' figure of allegoria differ from "the kind of BIG allegory we see in Pilgrim's Progess or The Faerie Queene" and how does that differ "from the more compact [kind] that takes a conceit and then works out the allegory of the parts in compact fashion."  The parable had been earlier mentioned; the parables of Jesus are stories to which topical references are magnetically attached; they are thematically loaded and pointedly suggestive anecdotes.  And it is this same story element that also characterizes the enlarging of allegoria into those lengthier allegorical forms that feature the extended biography or life-story of a figurative protagonist:  one like Spenser's Redcrosse, Bunyan's Christian, and Dante's otherworldly tourist-pilgrim.  These characters' stories all take time--time is the medium of narration, and incidents, episodes, and events, endowed with follow-ability and sequentiality, are any narration's substance.  By comparison, so to speak, allegoria presents a tableaux or schemata, and only a potential or nuclear scenario, and not a mural in developmental, panoramic, serially dilated action.  In allegoria a conceited thought unfolds in a condensed form, while in the grander fictions cited a persona's drama or thematized life-story unfolds at length.  Here allegorical and emblematic props like Redcrosse's shield, Christian's scroll, and Dante's waist-cord may seem to turn into what Harry Berger might possibly be tempted to discard as distracting McGuffins.  And yet Redcrosse's new colleague's missing helmet pre-appears in the appalled Sir Treuisan's initial appearance, and we must pay it mind--"they might perceive his head / To  be unarmed" (I.ix.22), this being as allegorically telltale as the rope around Treuisan's hopeless neck.  The Pauline allegoria has been put in the episodic service of the Spenser's narrative unfolding of a protracted legend.

(As I have reported elsewhere, this rope also may appear around the neck of Shakespeare's Cordelia--see Edmund's falsehood of Cordelia's desperate act--and likewise Edmund Spenser's at FQ II.x.32, "kept in prison long,/Till wearie of her wretched life, her selfe she hong." See previous remarks, about emblem into narrative.)

James Nohrnberg, Prof. Emeritus
Univ. of Virginia
Dept. of English / Bryan Hall 209
P.O. Box 400121