Jayne

thank you for writing:
'weighting existing assessment and cancelling exams? Or assessing only the learning outcomes which can easily be assessed through an online format  and having students pick up the rest of them later in the programme (not an option for graduating students, of course!)'

You are totally right.
Obviously many institutions are still unrealistic about this switch. It is not for a few weeks, but months. It will not be 'continuation', just 'emergency learning mode'. Some of our students or someone in their family or ourselves are going to get sick. Many of our students have gone back home to be with their families and are in lock-down countries with limited access to technology and WI-FI.

Whatever learning our students do manage in this situation, can we find easy ways for them to evidence it? And accept that academic rigour will be somewhat limited at this point in time?
I think it is very unfair in this situation to keep exams on the agenda - they produce enough anxiety under normal circumstances, imagine what anxiety they will produce now.

We have:
extended all L6 deadlines until Sept
asked each Unit leader to review their assessment and identify which outcomes are feasible in e-learning mode (and do a reasonable summative assessment for those in June)
leave the other outcomes for later on, perhaps integrating them into another Unit, or into next year learning

Every unit is going to be reviewed, some are going to be postponed to Sept altogether.
Our students must prioritise their wellbeing, not our courses, can we be compassionate and reasonable?
Sorry, I feel very strongly about this and glad to see our senior managers do too.

With very best wishes
Virna