In the Undergraduate module I taught the central assessed task was a group project, which was worth 50%of the module grade, the other 50% was made up of 2 pieces of reflective writing, one of which was about their experiences of working in a group.  It does mean that as a tutor, you get an insight into the group, and it is really valuable for students to be reflective.  This model also means that although the group task is important, the module grade isn’t wholly dependent on the group product.  I did a situational analysis of the reflective writing, written up here: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/102286/ I do focus on the technology students use to support group work, as this is more of a disciplinary focus for me, but there were some really interesting insights that came out of the analyse as a whole.

In the module I teach on currently, students do a group task which is very closely related to the module aims and learning outcomes (designing an information literacy teaching intervention),  but the assessment is an individual piece of reflective writing.  They are encouraged to reflect on the group work itself, but also other aspects of the teaching intervention (e.g. their teaching philosophy).  Again, this means that the group work itself is fairly low stakes.

I also did some research using a draw and write methodology where students were asked to draw group work (http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/129728/).  Getting students to draw and then discuss their drawings I’ve found is a useful way to stimulate discussions about group work.

Best wishes

Pam

Dr Pam McKinney BA (Hons) MSc MCLIP FHEA PhD
Lecturer
University of Sheffield Information School
Regent Court, Room 219
211 Portobello Street
Sheffield S1 4DP

@ischoolpam
0114 2222650

orcid.org/0000-0002-0227-3534

Please note I work part time.

Keep it green: do you need to print this email?
Visiting the university? Try to travel sustainably: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel