I agree Giles that participants needs guidance about agreeing scope and boundaries for online observation.  This paper is quite old now, but it does flag up some issues (and some new possibilities/opportunities) that online observation raises:

Bennett, S. and Barp, D. (2008) Peer Observation – a case for doing it online. Teaching in Higher Education, 13(5), pp.559-570.

Shirley

From: "Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association" <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Giles Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply to: Giles Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, 20 March 2020 at 10:16
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Evidencing Authentic Practice - HE Advance Fellowships D1 and D2

Thoughts on this:
We have observations initially before broadening this to more general peer review (particularly for course design development). From a developmental perspective, the primary purpose of our 'observations' are actually as precursors to our tutorials. This is where we can discuss their teaching (heading in the professional dialogue direction) and to do so it is quite handy to have seen some of their practice! Of course this also means we can provide practical advice/feedback suggestions integrated with our more general discussions. There are a series of these.

Given our subject mix, one of the common questions is from people who don't have 'lectures' wondering how to arrange the observations initially thinking they have nothing to be observed (so a bit like the worry now) - our answer is that we are hoping to see and discuss their practice in teaching and supporting learning. If that is lectures, fine. If it is labs, feedback, facilitation, online delivery, observing student teachers etc - well that's what their practice is and that's what we can 'observe' as that is what we will discuss.

I'd thus suggest the same approach here - what is their (possibly new, and thus even more useful for feedback on...) T&L practice right now? Maybe we view prepared recordings/resources or asynchronous online exercises or similar, maybe it is observing a synchronous video conference class. What did they have some autonomy and choice in designing or doing?

One thing to definitely think about however - scope/boundaries for the review. For a class there is a clear time window you can choose. For something asynchronous or similar it is useful to agree the bounds (I usually go with the guidance of what would take about a similar length of time to review).

Best wishes,

Giles

Dr Giles Martin MSci MEd PhD PGCert ODE SFHEA FSEDA

Programme Leader (Higher Education Practice)

School of Education

Bath Spa University

Newton Park, Newton Building NE G.04

01225 875709 / [log in to unmask] / @gilesdrmartin