@ David Sless et al.

>Everything else is science fiction (of which I am an avid reader).

Given the context and in the spirit of suggesting readings on the history of design in a parallel thread Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy (and some of his later books) come to mind. I take history to be only meaningful in the/a future and this science fiction is the history of the future, so a form of history. This trilogy does suffer from various genre problems but is a thought-provoking exposition of ethical/technical/societal/design issues. It is also in agreement to your emphasis on humility.

What science fiction can you suggest?

Stanislav